Castello del Buonconsiglio
Numerous legends and myths have always characterised this castle and the bishops living in it.
On a rocky hill at the heart of the city of Trento towers the mighty Buonconsiglio Castle, the most important secular example of architecture in Trentino. The majestic castle dates back to the years 1239-1255 and served as the see of the prince bishops of Trento until the secularisation of the principality in 1802. It were the prince bishops of Trento and some of the best artists of the era which made the castle look the way it does today.
The castle includes several buildings of different eras and is surrounded by a mighty wall of the 16th century. Behind the wall with its numerous crenels, a marvellous Italian park is hidden. Above it the massive Torre d’Augusto is towering, which together with the medieval Palazzo Vecchio and its gothic-venetian loggia make up the historic center of the castle. Close to it the prince bishop Bernhard Cles built the Magno Palazzo, which dates back to the Renaissance era.
In 1973 the castle became the seat of the regional museum of art, also referred to as Castello del Buonconsiglio Museum. Numerous art collections, ranging from painting and manuscripts to tiled stoves as well as archeologic and numismatic collections. Among the valuable baroque and gothic frescoes is the so-called “Ciclo dei Mesi”, which belong to the world’s most precious frescoes.
phone: +39 0461 233770