Castelfondo has got Roman origins and has been constructed in order to protect the village from barbaric assaults.
Image gallery: Castelfondo
The original name was Castrum Funi, definitely a Latin designation, which should emphasize the role of Castelfondo as logistic army basis. Via Castelfondo it was possible to reach the forward posts of Castrin and Palade, which were impressive fortesses constructed to protect the area from barbaric assaults.
Castelfondo is devided into three parts: La Villa, Platz and Cologna. Here the farmers’ tradition of the Val di Non valley is perfectly combined with elegant buildings constructed in rustical style spread all over the municipal area. Particularly worthwhile are the residences Casa Lorenzetti and Casa della Chiesa. Also the parish church deserves to be visited. It is dedicated to San Nicolò, the patron saint of the village. The church has been constructed between 1508 and 1530 AD and enlarged in the last century. Inside there are several frescos dating back to the 16th century as well as a baroque altar.
Equally worthwhile is the impressive Castelfondo Castle. Surrounded by a dense forest, it rises on a rock spur towering above the village. Once upon a time the castle was one of the main venues for events in the valley. Probably it has been constructed in Roman times, from the 14th century several residential buildings have been added to the main tower. In this way the castle territory became larger and larger.